National Pet Month takes place in April. It gives the nation a chance to celebrate the wonderful impact pets have on our lives and encourages pet friendly businesses, groups and individuals to stage and attend pet themed events to raise money for UK pet charities.
A Registered Charity
National Pet Month is a registered charity, unique in bringing together animal welfare charities, professional bodies, pet businesses, schools, youth groups and pet lovers. The trustees are National Office of Animal Health (NOAH) and Pet Food Manufacturers’ Association (PFMA).
The charity’s key aims are to:
- Make people aware of the mutual benefits of living with pets
- Increase public awareness of the role of pet care specialists
- Raise awareness of the value of working and assistance companion animals
Top Ten Tips for Responsible Pet Ownership
- Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
- Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
- Provide a nutritious and well-balanced diet.
- Provide suitable housing and bedding.
- Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
- Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
- Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
- Groom your pet regularly.
- Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
- Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third-party liability.
National Pet Month gets bigger and bigger every year because thousands of pet lovers focus on raising awareness of responsible pet ownership. Many dedicated individuals also give up their time to organise fun events for pet lovers to enjoy. There have been so many different events over the years from vet practice open days, dog walks, children’s activities, cake sales to a village pet show. There’s always something new!
Why not join this band of pet lovers – and you can even raise some money for your favourite animal charity too! Remember it really doesn’t matter how big or small your event is – just make sure it fits in with the National Pet Month aims.
Click here to find out ways you can contribute.
Pescod Square’s stores offer a range of popular pet products including top brand foods, toys and accessories all at great value. Head to Wilko, The Works and Poundland for finds your furry friends will love.