Launched in 2012, Stoptober is the 28-day stop smoking challenge from Public Health England (PHE) that encourages and supports smokers across England towards quitting for good.
Stoptober is based on the insight that if you can stop smoking for 28-days, you are five times more likely to quit for good.
Smoking Cost the East Midlands £1.04billion in 2018
Newly released data shows smoking in the East Midlands cost £1.04 billion in 2018, according to calculations carried out for Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).
Last year there were over 603,000 smokers in the East Midlands and the £1.04 billion cost to society breaks down as follows:
- £204.4 million fell to the NHS
- £73 million fell to local authorities in the cost of social care
- £385 million to employers in smoking breaks, sickness and absenteeism
- £331 million fell to wider society due to lost economic activity from early deaths and unemployment
Additional costs included:
- £28 million from the cost of house fires caused by smoking
- £17 million in self-funded social care
- 266 tonnes of litter, 112 tonnes discarded on the street with local authorities having to pay for it to be collected.
Smoking takes a heavy toll on communities, local services and society at large. Disease and disability from smoking harms current smokers, ex-smokers and those exposed to secondhand smoke, often young children and those yet to be born.
Deborah Arnott, ASH Chief Executive
Six out of 10 smokers want to quit and most try to quit using willpower alone (or ‘cold turkey’). However, the most successful quit attempts use a combination of effective stop smoking support methods. The best way to quit is with expert help from local stop smoking services together with stop smoking aids. Over 50% of smokers who got this package of support have managed to quit and, among those who used an e-cigarette in their quit attempt, the success rate increases to over 60%. E-cigarettes remain the nation’s favourite stop smoking aid.
For help and advice on quitting smoking, and for a wide range of products and supplements that get you on the right track, take a trip to Superdrug in Pescod Square.
Find out more about Stoptober.